Finally coming up for air now after 10 hours of press briefings for nearly three days, I can finally talk more here about Silverlight:
Top 10 Questions About Silverlight and Media
- What media formats do you support?
A: WMV7,8, 9/SMPTE VC-1, WMA, MP3
- What is SMPTE VC-1?
A: WMV9 – now an open standard recognzied by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) and shipping in all Blu-Ray and HD-DVD drives.
- Will Silverlight work with my current Windows Media?
A: Yes, it most definitely will work with your existing Windows Media
- What do I have to do to add Silverlight to my site? For Mac and Windows playback?
A: Once the beta ships in two weeks, all you’ll have to do is drop a little .js and XML into your page and away you go.
- Can additional formats be added for playback?
A: No, part of the appeal of Silverlight is the small package size- 1MB, includes everything it needs for video and audio, animation, graphics and AJAX-based programmability to boot!
- What companies are supporting Silverlight?
A: Major League Baseball, Brightcove, NetFlix, Frog Design, AvenueA/Razorfish, Akamai, and many others are among the names announced.
- How easy the install really going to be?
A: How does 3 clicks sound for XP users? Vista users have one more click by default due to the user account feature. Web pages can be wired up to do in-line install and auto-refresh after you’re done.
- Can you really do 720p HD video? What 3D video card do I need?
A: Definitely. About a 3ghz P4 class processor will work, regardless of video card. We’ve done some really neat processor optimizations. All the demos shown in the booth at NAB were run off a mid-range laptop.
- Why does resizing/scaling of apps “snap” differently in Safari/FireFox/IE?
A: It all depends upon the way the browser renders. I won’t make any qualitative comment as your mileage may vary.
- Will Silverlight work with my existing web server? What about live streaming?
A: For on-demand, yes! Run it on Darwin, Apache, whatever you’re running. Of course, you’ll get a few added benefits with Windows Media streaming- reduced bandwidth costs, faster seeking, etc.
- Where can I learn more?
A: Right now you can learn more at www.microsoft.com/silverlight. The community site will go live at www.silverlight.net. The Beta “Cruise” starts on April 30th.