Cutting to the chase – the signup is here: http://www.halo3.com/. And the Monday Night Football commercial was stunning – animated but captured with live actors and done by famed FX house Digital Domain. It made for a nice treat after launching our CTP. You can download it in HD on Xbox Live now. It’s a teaser but here’s what I think I know (spoiler alert):
- I’m convinced the two kids at the beginning are Master Chief and one of the other Spartans. The Spartans have been trained from a very young (pre-adolescent) age per the Halo books.
- We learn that first contact with the alien races had not been made when the Spartans were children, which means they exist for more worldly battles.
- The spot he’s in is the same as the kids, but gone is the lush fields, replaced with sand and tufts of dead grass.
- We see a more “human” Master Chief. His helmet was blown off by a grenade, the Warthog behind him thoroughly trashed and he’s shell shocked.
- Cortana (Chief’s AI) can be briefly heard whispering, “Chief” before the radio crackles with other groundchatter saying they’ve lost the chief. He’s still there.
- A little girl says, “Time to go”. It sounds like the little girl from earlier in the spot.
- New toys. Incoming Plasma, some sort of geodesic super-shield.
- Once more into the fray.
Here’s what we do know:
- Every object in the ad was taken from Bungie or approved by Bungie (creators of the game and owner of the license)
- It takes place near the end of the E3 trailer
- The action takes place on Earth
- More details here on Bungie’s site. http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?cid=9255
My love of Halo has waned (waiting for a new chapter) but with this ad, I had shivers like a kid again. It got me to thinking – will the Halo movie be animated like this (using live action)? The lines are blurring.
You can get a cool still frame from the movie in HD here: http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gallery_image.asp/1249/1
2 responses to “Halo 3 Commercial and Beta Signup”
– whence do we "know" that they’re on earth, I’ve not seen that said yet but perhaps you’ve seen posts that I’ve not.
– our recollection of the Fall Of Reach is that the "kids" didn’t know about the Convenant but that perhaps their supervisory trainers did.
1. Statement made by one of the Bungie staff on their site
2. It’s been a while since I read. You could be right